Hello, blog world. Has it really been seven weeks?
I've been pretty scarce on the interwebs of late because, in yet another example of how I have excellent decision-making skills when I'm postpartum, I decided to take a computer programming class. Even though the extent of my skills with computers up til that point was adding blogs to my Bloglovin'.
I've been taking an Introduction to Computer Science course developed by Harvard and offered for free on edx.com. In the overview it is described as "demanding, yet doable". Sure, if doable means forsaking all your hobbies, relegating child care duties to the television, and having tear-filled emergency tutoring sessions from your more technical husband.
I love it and I hate it.
Despite all that, I did finally manage to complete a house project, my first since Ender's been around!
Over the summer CJ was having some emotional growing pains and was having a very hard time sleeping. He was having nightmares and was terrified to be in his room, so after trying many different things we put his bed in Noni's room and Noni's crib in CJ's room. Astonishingly it worked. Of course all of their decorations and accessories were in the wrong rooms now, but as I had a newborn at the time I decided to let it go for a few months.
Then in August I found this antique at the local ReStore for $25.
I knew it was destined to be Noni's big girl bed, but she wasn't ready for that change and frankly, I wasn't ready for all the work it would involve. So it languished in the garage for a few months.
But with winter fast approaching I thought I had better git 'er done while I still had the chance.
One of the reasons it was so cheap is because it had a lot of gouges and insect holes. So I had to get to work with some wood filler to patch it up.
Also one of the details on the headboard was missing from the left side...
...which was easily fixed by making Nemo whack off the remaining one on the right with a reciprocating saw.
There. Much more symetrical.
For this project I got myself an early Christmas present--a paint sprayer. There is a bit of a learning curve, but I suspect that when I get the hang of it, it will make projects like this go SO much faster.
After the first coat of paint I saw that there were a lot of damaged areas I missed, and because of the light paint color the holes were REALLY obvious. So again with the wood filler.
Once I got the bed all pink I realized I should probably paint the room before the bed got moved in.
The walls are painted with Behr's Moonlit Beach and the bed is Deco Shell, or as it's more commonly known, "Nauseatingly Pink".
Funny story about the bed: it's an antique, and I failed to realize that antique frames don't fit modern mattresses. So what we ended up doing was order a full-size memory foam mattress, which I then cut down to size with a hack saw.
My mother-in-law and I found this birth month bouquet print at a consignment shop, and I tried to design the whole room around it.
All the bedding I got at St. Vinny's!
Look at me, not tidying up for the shot. I'm such a rebel.
We just left the crib in there, in the hopes that one day soon Ender will stop screaming randomly in the middle of the night and the two girls can be roomies.
Noni approves of the whole setup. She pointed out when it was done that it looks like Anna's bed in the Disney Short Frozen Fever.
She's got me there! Maybe someday I'll stencil the details. But not today. I've got to get back to coding.
Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.