Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Conor: A Birth Story - Part I: The Due Date


I wasn't tired of being pregnant. Other than a few aches and pains, I had never felt healthier. I relished the feeling of the baby we called "Spud" squirming around inside me. Even so, I woke up on my due date bound and determined to have a baby that day. I was very disillusioned at work and I REALLY didn't want to go in the next day (my due date was on a Friday and it was my day off--I was scheduled to work on Saturday). I just wanted to be on maternity leave so I could be a stay at home mom, at least temporarily. I kind of got my wish. At any rate, I didn't have to go into work on Saturday.

The first thing I did that morning was get on the treadmill and crank the incline WAY up. I walked about a mile and a half. Nothing happened.

<--Me at 40 weeks exactly. Yay due date!

Later that day Nemo and I went to the local botanical gardens to walk some more. We called it our due "date", har har. Whatever, it was really funny at the time.
While there I had some pretty intense Braxton-Hicks contractions, but I had been having those since I was about 18 weeks pregnant. So anyway, still nothing.

While we were eating dinner that night watched the movie "True Grit" (the new one). BH contractions continued, and I made another bad joke about how no one in the movie used contractions (as in the part of speech. I'm serious, there isn't a "can't" or "you'll" in the entire movie ) because they were giving them all to ME. I was starting to time them on my iPod but even as I was doing it I was telling myself that it was only wishful thinking.

After dinner, I hopped onto the treadmill and walked for another mile. OH MY GOODNESS NOTHING. I resigned myself to going to work in the morning.

Then, while I was standing at the sink doing the dishes, something that was NOT nothing happened. I had a contraction, but it was very different from those I had been experiencing for the past five months. It spread over my uterus (painfully) and then grabbed onto my spine and throttled it within an inch of its life. I had to grab the sink so I didn't fall over.

When it had passed I feebly finished tidying the kitchen and started to get ready for bed, moping because if my BH contractions were going to be giving me this much discomfort (ok, pain) from here on out, then Saturday was going to be a very long day.

I had a few more contractions like that, and at about 11pm Nemo and I got into bed. I told him how much my contractions were hurting, but that I didn't think I was in labor. This was mostly because my waters didn't break. I know that only a minority of women's waters break before labor begins, but my mother's broke beforehand for all four of her children and my older sister's had too. I could only assume that mine would break early as well.

Nemo went to sleep. I didn't. It was a long night.

The story continues at Part II

No comments:

Post a Comment