Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Is this a test?

On Saturday we went on a family apple-picking excursion.


Nemo had been feeling a bit off, but we went because he had been itching to make applesauce. When we got home, we discovered that he was running a fever.


Uh oh.


I had been dreading the inevitable day when my baby would get sick for the past three months. I put on my big girl pants and prepared for the worst.


Well, CJ and I have remained healthy, thank goodness, but Nemo kept getting worse. I was up the half the night last night trying to get him comfortable, and when his temp shot up to 103.5 around 1am I laid down the law: We were going to the urgent care clinic in the morning.


What should have been a simple task of getting diagnosed with strep throat and picking up a prescription for antibiotics turned into a three-hour epic quest. Nemo had just got insurance from his new job, but didn't have the cards to prove it because of the newness. So there was a huge hassle at the clinic to get it sorted out, and an even huger hassle at the pharmacy. After almost an hour at the pharmacy I declared we had to leave, and would they please call me when it was ready? Because I really had to get the baby to daycare and get myself ready for work.


I dropped Nemo at home to rest, drove the baby to daycare, finally got the call about the prescription, drove all the way to the pharmacy (which was not close to home at all; we filled the script there because it was close to the clinic), drove all the way home to give it to Nemo, scarfed a snack, then drove to work. I was only 30 minutes late. Go me.


I am thankful for this harrowing experience for two reasons.


1) It convinced Nemo that he needs health insurance. Since he gets sick so seldom, up til now he didn't really see the point.


2) If I hadn't made him go to the clinic, it could have been a lot worse! Apparently strep throat can cause a lot of complications if it isn't treated in a timely manner.


This calls for caffeine. Excuse me.

No comments:

Post a Comment