Friday, October 28, 2011

Meatless Friday #1

I'm a cradle Catholic, and for my entire life I had been under the impression that after Vatican II Catholics were no longer required to abstain from meat on Fridays. It was Nemo who told me that while abstaining from meat on Fridays is no longer required, Catholics are expected to perform some penance or work of charity every Friday, which I have NEVER DONE except by coincidence. So it would appear that I am in a state of arrears! That's one of the things I love about Nemo. As a convert, he has taught me so much about my own faith. It's beautiful and a little bit humbling.

We have been doing Meatless Fridays since winter 2011. It takes a bit of planning, makes being houseguests a little sticky, and sometimes I REALLY REALLY just want a cheeseburger, so I suppose it has been serving it's purpose.

The problem is, we are super lazy about it. I don't even want to contemplate the number of fish sticks I have consumed in the last nine months. A few weeks ago, stuffed to the gills with fish and mac and cheese, I decided that we are going to turn over a new leaf. I started scouring Epicurious for fun, healthy meatless recipes.

Last week's pick was Barley Stew with Leeks, Mushrooms, and Greens. I thought it was going to be a stretch for my cooking capabilities, mostly because I had eaten greens exactly once before and I had to google what a leek was. I wish I was joking.




As it turned out it was very easy to make! I totally intended to take a picture to show it off, but alas I ran out of time. Trust me, it was colorful and yummy-looking. It tasted pretty good too.




Do you have any favorite meatless recipes?


Up next week: Stir-Fried Tofu!

No comments:

Post a Comment