Wednesday, October 26, 2011

NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month starts November 1. I have been taking part in this month-long event every year since 2008. The goal: write 50,000 words in 30 days. The first two years I met this goal, although those novels remain unfinished. Last year I bowed out at 15,000 words because I was in my first trimester with CJ and November was the beginning of what would turn out to be a two-month napfest.



Anyway. This year I try again. It's super convenient that my last day of work is October 29, because then I will have oodles of time to devote to a novel, right?



The original plan was to write the second book in the series I started in 2008, but I have been working on it for three years and I can barely stand to look at it these days. And I don't have any other stories in mind so this year I thought I would try a winging it approach.



So this is what I did:


I went to random.org and had it choose a year for me. I restricted it to years after 1580, because most of what I write is in the middle ages or Renaissance, and I wanted to try something new. My year: 1833.








Then I went to geopick.org/random and had it pick a city for me. My setting: St. John's, Newfoundland & Labrador.









Then I went to Behind the Name and had it randomly select a female first, middle, and last name of either Irish, English, or French origin (as those are some of the more common ethnicities in Newfoundland). What I got: Sera Faye Bell.



Next I went to a random conflict generator, I don't remember which one, and ended up with stolen money.




Well, there you have it. This November I will attempt to write a 50,000 word novel set in St. John's in 1833 that has to do with a woman named Sera Faye Bell and some stolen money.


No comments:

Post a Comment