Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Morning Person

I have never liked mornings. Everyone has to have a hobby, and mine happens to be sleeping. Most adults can get by on 7-8 hours of sleep, but I really need about 9 to feel normal. I used to arrange my schedule in order that I would never have to be up before 7am. Weekends I was known to sleep in until 10 or 11am.

Now things are different. CJ may be good at sleeping at night, but he is rubbish at napping. He wakes up between 6am and 8am, fresh as a daisy and a sheer joy to be around. I feed him, play with him a little, then he entertains himself on his play mat while I get some chores done.

Then he takes his first nap about two hours after he wakes up, and at 45 minutes long (if I'm lucky) it just isn't long enough. He takes about three or four of these short naps a day, and it is clear that they aren't restful. His mood gets worse and worse as the day goes on. By 3pm he is a complete mess, doesn't want me to put him down but also doesn't want me to hold him. The hours between 3 and 6 (when the bedtime routine starts) are extremely trying for me.

Today I found myself wishing that it could be morning ALL THE TIME and I shocked myself. Me? Mornings? Friends? Ha ha ha! A year ago the idea would have been absurd.

I blame this little monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment