Monday, December 5, 2011

Do You Want to Hear a Yucky Story?

A few weeks ago Nemo and I were preparing to go to bed after a long day, and when I turned back the covers I saw this:Actually, several of those. Bugs. In my bed. The place where I live a third of my life. You can't tell in the picture, but they are very small, about half the size of a grain of rice. But the fact remained that there were bugs in my bed. My natural reaction was to freak out, which I did with gusto. I stripped the bed and threw everything into the wash, and while I was waiting (and freaking out) I turned to the internet for answers.

It turned out that what was in my bed was the larvae of a carpet beetle, apparently a very common household pest that feeds on stored fabrics, kind of like moths. The only way to get rid of them is to find their food source and get rid of THAT. Well, it was midnight at this point and I had no idea what their food source was, and once the bedding got out of the wash I decided to go to bed and deal with the problem in the morning. Except I didn't know how I was going to go to sleep knowing that my bedroom was overrun with gross little insects.

Nemo, always the level-headed one, said, "Just think of what Les Stroud (host of TV's Survivorman, for those of you who don't know) has to put up with. It's not like we're sleeping among scorpions in the Kalahari".

He had a point, and somehow I managed to go to sleep.

The next few days I spend systematically cleaning the bedroom, looking for what they were eating, and I didn't turn up anything. Then I remembered the wool sweater that had been in the bottom of the laundry basket since last fall (I didn't want to bother cleaning it since I didn't like it anyway, but still couldn't bring myself to throw the darn thing out).

Yup. That was it. There were more holes than I remembered and a few of the little buggers chomping away. I tied it in a trash bag and threw it out. I thought that was the end of it, but alas there is more to tell.

Last night, two things happened. First, I thought to myself, "I wonder what happened to my other favorite wool sock? I haven't seen it in months. It's probably lost under the bed somewhere."

Then, we found another bug in the bed.

Then, I put two and two together.

Today I bit the bullet and cleaned out the under the bed area, and it was horrifying.

They were indeed eating my favorite wool sock. And one of Nemo's socks. And a towel that somehow got under there. And a handkerchief. You get the picture.

I've been doing a lot of wash/throwing things away, and I hope this truly is the end of it.

I learned my lesson, that's for sure. Never again will I let things languish under the bed, or they will most certainly be found by things that go chomp in the night.

1 comment:

  1. And when did I read this? Just before going to bed last night!

    I may never sleep again...thanks so much ;)

    ReplyDelete