Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A One-Car Family

I'm from metro Detroit, which means that I grew up in a culture that views cars as a status symbol. Cars are an absolute must-have, no matter what kind of financial situation you are in (this might also have something to do with the laughable state of the public transportation).

When Nemo and I first started getting to know each other and I found out that he didn't have a car, I remember thinking to myself, "What is this guy, some kind of deadbeat?" Charitable is my middle name. As it turns out, he wasn't a sponger, he just didn't need a car.

He did eventually get a car when he went to grad school. Then for our second anniversary we got another car, a station wagon. In retrospect, it was a pretty silly purchase. Nemo took public transportation to school and work, and we never really needed to be driving anywhere separately. We put less than 15,000 miles on it in the 3 1/2 years that we've owned it.

Thanks to Nemo, I am no longer scornful of people who don't have cars. In fact, I idealize that lifestyle now. The area that we are moving to in two-and-a-half weeks (yikes!) is very walkable. Nemo can walk to work, I can walk to church and shops, and there is an affordable bus for most other things. We will be keeping our original car, but only for bulk grocery shopping and you know, getting to the hospital if we need to. I don't envision us using the car that often really, and that makes me happy.

It's not about pollution or the crazy price of gas. We just want a simpler life, and we are lucky enough to have to opportunity to simplify in this way. I'm so thankful!

I am going to miss driving, though. I'm from the Motor City, where driving is a form of recreation:)

No comments:

Post a Comment