Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Keeping it Clean

My family was not one that was overly concerned with order or cleanliness. There was lots of love and lots of lessons learned, but somehow I never learned how to clean.

Since becoming a stay-at-homer in November I have really been struggling with this aspect. I have the desire to keep a home neat and hygienic (it's peer pressure; all my friends have such nice homes!) but what I don't have is the knowledge to actually get it done.

Sure, I know the basics of floor washing, vacuuming, and toilet scrubbing, but I can't help feeling that this is the bare minimum and that there is something I'm missing. I'm sure someone who has a Better Homes and Gardens-type home does more than wipe out the sink once a week, you know?

My aunt, who recently told me that one is supposed to clean the bottoms of copper pots regularly (I was truly shocked; I've literally never done this) and whose home always seems to be clean, has been trying to get me in to FlyLady. Man, I have been trying because the website does point out a lot of chores I tend to ignore out of habit, like cleaning cobwebs from the ceiling. But it all seems so complicated. I can't keep all of the morning rituals, monthly focuses, hotspots, zones, missions, and umpteen daily emails straight. I know it works for a lot of people but I don't know if it is going to work for me.

I've been scouring the internet for FlyLady alternatives, but so far I haven't turned up anything good. I guess I'll just keep on trying to developing my own system and consulting the internet when I need to ("how do you clean a stove?" "how to you get stains out of clothing?" "how often do I REALLY need to clean out my fridge?" and the like).

Here's to winging it!

No comments:

Post a Comment