Monday, January 9, 2012

Moving...moving...moved

Even with professional movers, our moving experience was a week-long stress extravaganza. I wish I had handled it more gracefully!

January 3: We arrive home from our New Year travels, late in the evening as our 5 our tip had ended up being over seven hours due to bad weather.

January 4: Movers come to pack our belongings into boxes. CJ stayed the day with his Godmother as there really was no place to play or nap.

January 5: Nemo, CJ and I head to New City to close on the house while my in-laws babysit the movers at soon-to-be old house as the furniture and boxes are getting loaded into the truck. When we get back from the closing I try to take care of CJ without the benefit of furniture while in-laws and Nemo clean and organize. At the end of the day we are left with 2 suitcases, an air mattress, a pack and play, 2 kitties and their paraphernalia, and all t he stuff that the movers couldn't take, like propane tanks and cleaning supplies.

January 6: Nemo leaves very early to meet the movers at new house, while in-laws and I try to get everything else ready to go. What we though was just "a couple of left over things" turned out to fill two cars to the brim. Kitties are doped up and we get the show on the road.

Moving stuff into the house turns out to be the longest process of them all. Of course the furniture is the last thing to be moved in, so I again have to spend the day feeding CJ while sitting on the floor. At least the new house has carpeting!

Around lunchtime I start to develop a migraine. Of course. I haven't had one in almost a decade but one shows up NOW. I have to put up with it until one room is completed and I lie down on a bare mattress and sleep it off for two hours.

I wake up refreshed and we all start to put things in order. It's a big job.

January 7: Another organizing and putting stuff away day. Nemo and my father-in-law spend the day constructing an awesome shelving unit in the basement to hold all of the plastic totes we use for storage. Did I mention it was awesome?

January 8: We go to Mass at our new parish, but because it overlapped with nap time CJ was a mess for the rest of the day and basically had to be in the sling all day long, so I was pretty useless. Nemo was much more productive. He built a couple of things and moved a ton of stuff and even cleaned up for me.

And that brings us to now. There are still boxes everywhere but be are slowly making headway. We should have it in order in the next week or so, then we get to take on the Herculean task of renovating the kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. I'm exhausted just reading this! You have this week and next week to get more settled...and then I'll be back to work after my surgery and it's time for a lunch date :).

    ReplyDelete