Tuesday, February 14, 2012

An excuse and a hoodie

When I said I wanted more time together as a family, a family sick day was not exactly what I had in mind.

We recently caught a stomach bug; all of us within a few hours of each other. CJ bore it all very well and was as happy as a clam. A barfing clam, but a happy one nonetheless. Nemo and I were huge babies about it. I spent a whole weekend lying on the floor while watching Pride and Prejudice (it's a sick day tradition) and trying to keep everyone adequately hydrated.

Now it's over, thank God, and I am trying to get back on track.

Hmmm what to talk about...
I've been doing a lot of crafting lately.

A while ago Older Sister posted about the Peekaru Hoodie on fac.ebook.


Now, I'm not a babywearer, I just happen to wear my baby a lot. It's convenient and it makes CJ happy.

Now that it's cold outside it is kind of hard to go for walks with CJ in the Moby Wrap. It's just not conducive to coats. So this Peekaru just about knocked me off my feet with its ingenuity. Too bad it costs a small fortune. So I said to myself, "I'm just going to cut a hole in the front of an old hoodie and stuff CJ in it". And that's just what I did:
(Excuse CJ's zombie impersonation. He has been fighting naps lately.)
I started with one of Nemo's hoodies (with his permission, of course), size XL. I cut a large dart out of the back so it wouldn't be so baggy back there. Then I cut a hole in the front of the sweatshirt, folded the excess fabric from the dart in half and sewed it around the opening to make a turtleneck collar. Voila!

Sure, it's ugly. Sure, we look like some sort of two-headed beast. Sure, it drew some stares when we went out for its inaugural walk today. But it worked. We were both warm and toasty. And it didn't cost a small fortune. So I repeat, voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment