Friday, May 4, 2012

10 Things

I recently had a birthday. I am now ten years older than I was when I was eighteen. I have been reflecting on how much I have changed since I was a grungy college student. It's pretty drastic.

Ten Things I Never Thought I Would Say Ten Years Ago.

10. I made my own laundry detergent! It was super fun!
I don't consider myself full granola, but somewhere along the way I have acquired a fair amount of crunch in my lifestyle.

9. Cheeseburger? Don't mind if I do.
I was a vegetarian from the ages of thirteen to nineteen. At the time I was doing it for ethical reasons, but looking back on it now I can see that there was a healthy smattering of teenage rebellion mixed in.

8. Hey, this short haircut totally works on me.
When I was eighteen I got a short haircut. It was longish up top and so short in the back that the stylist had to shave my neck. It was not flattering AT ALL. But earlier this week I got a short haircut because I just don't have time to try to tame my cowlicks any more. For some reason, it works this time around. Thank goodness.

7. What novel? I've never published a novel.
 As I was that weird kid with few friends, one of my primary occupations as a teenager was writing stories. I fancied myself quite the prodigy.  At that age I had just completed my first full-length novel and was convinced that fame and a spot on the Jay Leno show was right around the corner.

6. I'm not a police officer. That's right, I wanted to be a FBI agent and a novelist. I didn't want to write crime novels though; I was  high fantasy all the way. Anyway, I was in a police cadet program for five years and my path was pretty set. Or so I thought.

5. I sew for fun and hopefully one day, money.
I mean really. From police officer to amateur seamstress. That's a leap if I ever saw one.

4. Well, see you later, I'm off to Adoration.
I was raised Catholic and was a practicing Catholic at the time, but I had no idea what Adoration was. I used to have an hour every week and that is something I want to get back to in the near future.

3. I live in a small town in Appalachia.
Sometimes I still don't know how this happened. No wait, I do. It was Nemo.

2. This is my husband, Nemo.
It's not that I didn't believe in marriage; I just never saw myself as a married person. I was a late bloomer and at that point I had never had a boyfriend so it just didn't seem like it was in the cards. Surprise!

1. I love my life.
I wasn't a very happy person as an eighteen-year-old and I didn't see how anyone could be. Life is terrible! But God worked a wonderful change in me. Even when things go wrong, even when I see evil in the world, deep down I am still a happy person.


There you go. Sometimes I'm surprised that my own mother can recognize me.



1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday - an awesome post to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete