Friday, October 12, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 11)






-1-
We're all going on a short trip out east in the near future. I'm really looking forward to it because I'll get to see my extended family but I'm dreading it at the same time. CJ is not a good traveler. Well, the traveling part is ok but it's the sleeping while traveling that's not. Basically, he doesn't. Not ever. He staunchly refuses to nap and wakes every 20 minutes to an hour at night. It makes it hard to enjoy trips! 

-2-
Earlier this week I bought a white noise machine to help with this problem. We usually run a box fan outside his room for white noise but that is a bit bulky to take on a trip, so we thought we would try something a little more portable. We tried it for the first time on Monday night and it was a complete disaster. He was absolutely terrified of it. I have no idea why. The machine was on when we were getting him ready for bed and he was freaking out, so we turned it off and took it out of the room but apparently the old "out of sight out of mind" thing doesn't work anymore. He was so scared that it took him an hour (with me checking on him frequently) to finally go to sleep. Needless to say, the demon machine is going back to the store.

-3-
I'm finally working on updating my music collection. I haven't synched my ipod in years. I have no idea how some of that stuff got on there. Plus there is a lot of pirated material that I want to delete. Oh, and it's still full of songs that I listened to in my youth that drop the f-bomb quite frequently. It's kind of embarrassing. But cleaning it off is a BIG JOB that I'll probably be working on for many nap times to come.

-4-
The house is almost back to it's pre-renovation state; I just have to finish reorganizing the guest room/my office and then I will no longer be mortified by the state of my home. I. am. thrilled!

-5-
I love seasonal soup. I recently made this Butternut Apple Soup recipe and it was absolutely wonderful. Plus it was super easy to make, and that's always a good thing. I'm making another batch later this week and freezing it so I can  have it on hand for the cold winter that the Farmer's Almanac is predicting.

-6-
Speaking of freezing food can you believe I've never done that before this year? Life is so much easier now that I have a collection (albeit small) of frozen meals ready to go. I am making an effort to get that freezer full to bursting before Baby Girl gets here.

-7-
I'm taking part in a program run by the county called "Moms on the Move". Basically I have to wear a pedometer every day and try to get my weekly average to about 2,000 steps above my baseline, which was 6,800 steps a day, and when  I turn in my step log I get prizes. My baseline wasn't great, considering that doctors recommend that one takes at least 10,000 steps a day. I really thought my baseline would be higher since at the end of the day I feel like I have run off my feet, but I guess I do a lot of standing (dishes, cooking, etc) rather than actual walking. So I've been making a point to walk more and I've managed to increase my average daily steps by 3,000! It's not a marathon, but it makes me feel happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment