Saturday, October 20, 2012

Getting Back on Track

I haven't been crafting much since...May. Everything happened in may. We started our kitchen renovation. We found out I was pregnant. CJ started going through an excruciating sleep regression. I just didn't feel like doing much besides getting rest.

I've been trying to get back into the swing of things lately. I was recently invited to a Busy Bag Exchange. For those of you who don't know, the participants of a Busy Bag Exchange make a number of DIY toddler activities beforehand and then meet up to exchange them, so each participant ends up with several different activies.

I was kind of short on funds so I was trying to come up with a craft that I already had supplies for. I finally settled on making soft books. A while ago my brother-in-law gifted me with several big binders full of outdoor fabric swatches that the landscaping store where he works was going to throw out. They have been sitting in my workroom for a long time and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to use them. The books are all a little different. Here's a couple of examples:




 I used applique patterns that I had already made for other projects so while it was a little time-intensive to make the number needed for the exchange, it required very little preparation.

The other project I'm working on is a scarf for the midwife who delivers Baby Girl. I made one for the midwife who caught CJ, so I figure I have set a precedent. I found the pattern on Ravelry and while it looks complicated, it's actually one of the simplest patterns I have worked with in a while. It is mostly just straight knitting and purling plus one row with some knit togethers and yarn overs to give it the nice lacy effect. It's something I can easily do while watching tv because it doesn't require a lot of concentration. Even so, I still  have quite a ways to go!
Next up is getting some more items in my Etsy shop, which has been sadly neglected in recent months. However, I think I may have worked my sewing machine too hard making the soft books (it's really not cut out for sewing such heavyweight fabric) so I need to see if I can repair it before I can get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment