Wednesday, June 19, 2013

More DIY Shelves - I Just Can't Help Myself!

So my shelves. Let me tell you about them.

A few weekends ago Nemo and I went garage saleing (without kids! So romantic!) and I came across the cute shelf that you see on the right. The owner said that they had been used to store nails in the garage. It was in pretty rough shape and the guy wanted $15! Sure I liked them, but that was way too steep. So I offered him $7, and he accepted. He wasn't insulted like I thought he would be. <whew>

A few days later I came across the shelf you see on the left at the local St. Vincent de Paul store. $2.

I had been looking for shelves like these for a while, so I consider myself lucky that I stumbled upon them both within a week of each other. I had very specific uses in mind for them in CJ's room!

So yeah, $9 collectively for the two shelves. Both needed some wood filler and sanding then I got down to the priming. I used a $5 can of spray primer before I decided to do it the old fashioned way with a foam roller and can of primer that I already had.


Then I used the leftover paint from my previous shelf project in CJ's room. Free! Awesome! The color is Gold Tone by Valspar in case you are curious. I know you are.



It took three coats of primer and three coats of paint before they looked the way I wanted them too. But finally I was successful and put them to work keeping things tidy.


Oooh gosh I love 'em. I'll be so sad when his shoes don't fit in there anymore.

Nemo is under strict instructions to build a larger version of the shoe storage cube for our storage-less entryway. I remind him of these instructions at least three times a day, every day. Because I am subtle like that.



DIY Show Off

3 comments: