Wednesday, July 10, 2013

File Overhaul

So, according to my chore schedule I am supposed to file things every Wednesday. Except I haven't been. Not for a long, long time.

My office nook is in what was "The Room" during last year's kitchen renovation. While it is no longer the only habitable room in the house it still serves multiple functions. In this one 15'x15' room is the library, my office, Nemo's office, and the guest room. It's also the unofficial "junk room"--everything that doesn't have a place gets tossed in here.

Anyway, I just haven't been able to face the weekly filing because the office/office/library/guest room/junk room was such a mess. I mean, I couldn't even get to my file cabinet (it's behind the box in the right of the picture). Plus I tend to hoard paperwork.

So. Embarrassing.

I was completely prepared to continue to ignore the problem for another couple of months (at least), but then I came across this file organizer at my church rummage sale.

 And I thought, wouldn't it be neat if all of my paperwork could fit in this little thing, and I would never have to go hunting around in my  huge, disorganized file cabinet again?

I bought it for $2. Obviously it had to be cuted up a little so I gave it a couple coats of spray paint (Valspar Tropical Oasis) and hand-painted a Moroccan design on the ends with the leftover yellow paint from CJ's room.


 
 Here's the finished product getting photobombed by the old-school pencil sharpener that Nemo gave me last Christmas. *Swoon* It's my favorite!

Then I had to get to the less-fun part, namely weeding through all the paperwork in, on, and around my file cabinet and desk. I used this article by Suze Orman for guidance.

As I suspected, I had a lot of paperwork lying around that had exactly NO value. For example, I had copies of utility bills that went with a house we no longer own. I had pay stubs for my first job out of grad school--seven years ago. I had insurance bills for a car we sold years ago. You get the idea. It was a mess.

I ended up with a big box of papers to be shredded just as soon as I get my hands of a shredder, a big bag of stuff to be recycled, and lo and behold everything that was left over fit in my new file organizer.

After a thorough tidying, my office nook now looks like this.
Now I can breathe easy, and hopefully from now on I will do my filing on a more or less regular basis.


Just a Girl and Her Blog

7 comments:

  1. I am so incredibly jealous of this! Can you please come to my house and tackle my "junk room?"

    I do believe I will use this for motivation to get things organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we did make a huge dent in it, there is still A LOT of junk outside the frame. Baby steps:)

      Delete
  2. with the before and after pictures i imagine you just blinking your eyes and it's done. messy room .blink. clean room. :) if only. also, your file sorter is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! Great job, Eva. And I love your (hand painted!) design. Hey, I think Staples has shredding services (maybe for cheap?), in case you want to off-load your box sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, thanks for the tip Lynn! I will look into it. Gotta get this box out of here!

      Delete
  4. I am terrible at sorting files, so I definitely need one of these to get me motivated! I love it so much I'm sharing it on my Facebook page tonight! Thanks for linking up your beautiful project, Eva!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With a little spray paint and creativity, you were able to transform a simple file organizer to a wonderful one. It looks good on your table, by the way! I hope you use this to keep your documents and papers always organized.

    -Ruby Badcoe @ WilliamsDataManagement

    ReplyDelete