Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Unwelcome Mat {A Makeover}


 Curb appeal is not our strong suit. We've spent the last 18 months slaving away on our darling kitchen, but we've done nothing to the outside of the house since we moved in. Well, we did replace the front door, but that decision was based just as much on potential energy savings as it was on aesthetics.

So.

Check out our welcome mat. It came with the house. You like? Me neither. Besides being old, dirty, and faded, we don't even have a dog. I hate when things don't make sense.

 Doing something about the welcome mat seemed like the easiest ad cheapest way to give out entryway a bit of a face lift. Boy did it need it.
Curb appeal. We don't have it.

I found some tutorials on Pinterest for spray painting welcome mats so I thought I would give it a shot.

First I had to get the thing clean. First I gave it a good vacuuming but it was still full of goodness knows how many years of grit so I had to beat it, well, like a rug.

Then I mixed up some hot water with a bit of dish soap and poured it over the mat, then gave it a good scrub.

 

Next I rinsed it out by spraying it with the garden hose with the nozzle set to the highest pressure possible.


I laid it out flat to dry in the sun, then transferred it to my spray-painting box. I find it contains the mess very well!


Then I got to the painting. Yay for the fun part!

 
Krylon Colormaster Ivory (Satin Finish), Valspar Premium Clear Sealer (Flat Finish), and Krylon Colormaster Khaki (Gloss Finish)

First I applied several coats of the ivory. In retrospect, I should have made the khaki the base color, but hey, live and learn. 

 

Then I used 1" painters tape to make a chevron pattern. The tape realllly didn't want to stick to the bristles so this part of the process took the longest.


Next I applied a few coats of the khaki...

Then I removed the tape and covered the whole thing with a coat of the clear varnish.

And then....

 
  !
So for $8 spent and a lot of paint fumes inhaled, I no longer hear Psycho violins when I walk up the front steps.


Welcome!


DIY Show Off

4 comments:

  1. So cute! This looks like something I could actually do, too.

    What a great way to re-purpose an old mat...they usually start looking bad long before they're worn out, so I hate going out and buying a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great money saving idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it. Who knew that old mat could look so good. I would love it if you would share this over at my link party that is going on right now.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it!!!! This might be my next DIY project. I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete