Saturday, July 20, 2013

Tripsters {5 Favorites}

Last week we packed the ourselves, the kids, and luggage and food to last us a week into our little Honda Civic and took off on a road trip to my parents' lake house in northern Michigan.

I freaked out about this trip quite a bit in advance. The last "vacation" we took was when CJ was about 16 months old and in the midst of both a  monster sleep regression and an extremely destructive phase. Instead of napping he would disassemble the pack and play from the inside. STRESS. SLEEP DEPRIVATION. ACK.

I was determined that we would have fun on this trip even if no one got a lot of sleep, so I stocked up on Diet Pepsi and off we went to the Great White North.

The trip was like a dream. A good dream. A couple of times I had to pinch myself and ask, "Is this real life???" Because seriously, it couldn't have gone better. I would now like to make a tearful thank you speech to all the things that made this trip possible.

{1}
iPad + Speck iGuy + ABC Song app

By their powers combined, CJ was quietly entertained for several hours at a time.

We don't typically let CJ play on the iPad. We don't  have anything against toddler use of electronics; we just don't like to share. But this was a special circumstance and we decided to let him have a turn on the travel days. 

I heard about the iGuy case on Natalie's blog and I was determined to get one for the trip. I ended up finding one on ebay for about $16, and it was well worth it.  It's well-designed and takes the worry out of letting toddlers handle expensive tablets. 

We downloaded a couple of games for him in advance, but all he wanted to play was the ABC Song app. We didn't hear a peep out of him for three hours straight.
 
{2}
Skoolies

To clarify, a "skoolie" is a school bus that has been converted into an RV. They are totally rad and I want one so we can go visit our far-flung family and friends in comfort and style.
 
See? Stylish.
Luckily for me I was able to sell Nemo on this latest of my hairbrained schemes and we have added it to our 5-year plan. While CJ was occupied with the iPad and Noni was sleeping, we were working on some plans for our future skoolie.  It made the 9.5 hour trek go very quickly! Brace yourselves; you'll be hearing a lot more about this in the future.


{3}
Family

This trip wasn't originally planned as a family reunion, but it ended up being one. Bonus! 

I got to see my mom, dad, my sister + BIL + 2 kids, another of my sisters (I have 3 total), my brother, my grandma, and my aunt and uncle. It. was. ermazing. Not only because  I got to spend time with my loved ones but because my loved ones liked (?) entertaining my children.


 
CJ and Noni were so worn out from all the fun that they both did a lot of this:

Which is astounding, considering how our last trip with CJ went. Maybe he is becoming a better traveler? Fingers crossed.
I love, you, family.


{4}

This also helped with the amazing sleep situation we  had going on. At home we had been using a plain old box fan placed in the hallway to drown out each others' noises. However, despite Nemo's tetris skills, it simply would not fit in our trunk.
So we upgraded.
We got two of these babies since CJ and Noni were in seperate rooms. It was a little expensive, but like anything that eases the pain of traveling with small children, it was worth it. The machines are small (similar in diameter to a CD) and sound just like a box fan, so it was perfect for us! CJ and Noni didn't notice the difference.

We have continued to use them since we got home, and it is so much nicer than the ol' box fan, which was kinda deafeningly loud and made it kinda hard to hear the TV when the bambinos were in bed.

{5}
Booze and Chocolate

Of which there were copious amounts at my disposal, and dispose of it I did. I don't know when my family became a "mimosas for breakfast" family, but me likee.

Head over to Hallie's blog for more faves!



No comments:

Post a Comment