Sunday, July 7, 2013

WIWS - Keep it Simple, Silly Edition {Vol. 3}



I have a tendency to over-think things. Actually, it might not be so much a tendency as an deeply-ingrained facet of my personality.

Case and point: The other day I found a great shirt at Goodwill. I just loved the pattern. It was in my size and I was in a hurry so I bought it without trying it on. When I tried it on for the first time I discovered that while it fit (meaning I could squeeze into it without ripping any seams), the fit itself was atrocious.

The waistband was placed too high to actually hit me at the waist but too low to be considered an empire waist. It made me look dumpy. Dumpy is not my best look.

Here's where the over-thinking comes in: I spent the better part of a week concocting a grandiose plan to take it apart and piece it back together in a more flattering design. I thought and thought and thought some more. It was going to be a big project and it would probably be weeks before I could wear it out in public! Major bummer!

Then, I had a flash of inspiration and that flash said, "Hey, dummy, just belt it."
Much better. No sewing required. Thanks, flash of inspiration! I forgive you for calling me a dummy.

So I got to wear the shirt to Mass today--woot! Here's the whole outfit. I know, I am so artsy.


It's head-to-toe Merona, which was completely accidental but I'm not surprised considering that a rather alarmingly high percentage of my wardrobe is from Target.

I have no idea where my jewelry originated, but it came into my possession the same way all of my nice jewelry does--gifted to me by my mother-in-law. She has such good taste!


Thanks to the ladies over at Fine Linen and Purple for hosting. Be sure to head over their way for some more What I Wore Sunday posts.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!!

    While I wouldn't have ever considered sewing the shirt, I also wouldn't have considered belting it either - and would've ended up with a shirt hanging in my closet that I'd never wear and eventually give back to Goodwill. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cute are you?

    love the over thinking moment
    that turned into the perfect solution!


    {alison}

    ReplyDelete