Monday, August 12, 2013

A Quick Outfit

I have a bad habit of buying clothes without trying them on first. I love shopping, looking at different prints and styles and whatnot, absolutely hate going in to dressing rooms and actually seeing if they fit. Maybe this is because I get the majority of my clothing from thrift store which do not, traditionally, have swank dressing rooms?

Anyway, I went to Goodwill with the intention of buying something to wear to my sister's bridal shower, as I had a bad case of "nothing to wear" syndrome. Really, very few things in my wardrobe fit me at this juncture.

This was the day before I would be leaving on the 6-hour road trip to get to said shower, so my schedule was kinda full with all the getting ready and stuff. Luckily I found two great items right off the bat, a nice looking pair of jeans and a cute vintage red polka-dot shirt. I paid for them and left in a hurry.

Unluckily, once I got them home I discovered that neither fit. The jeans, although in general were a good fit, were comically short.

And the shirt was just too big. 


I was so sad!

The next day I finished packing with a half-hour to spare, so I hurried to my sewing machine and gave my outfit some quick-and-dirty alterations. First the jeans got a dart up the back of the calf, then I trimmed a few inches off the bottom.


Then I sewed a zig-zag stitch along the rough edge and turned it up a few times.

Since the fabric of the shirt was fairly stretchy it didn't need any complicated alterations, I just took in the side seams a few inches.


Yup. Pleased as punch with myself.

My pearl jewelry really worked with it. For the record, I wore cuter shoes to the actual bridal shower but I forgot to put them on when I was taking the picture. Although I still cling to the belief that Teva sandals go with everything.

I finished up just in time to throw the outfit in the suitcase and head up north, where a good time and many mimosas were had by all.



6 comments:

  1. Cute! With the pearls it has kind of a '50's vibe--love that! Hope the party was fun!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! That's the exact vibe I was going for:)

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I love thrifting for stuff and I am guilty of buying without trying as well! But you solved all your problems and look great!
    kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That outfit is adorable! And I am super jealous of your skill with a sewing machine because too short pants and a too big shirt would've had only one destiny in my house: back to the thrift store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it!! You're making me need to hit up a thrift store and alter something rightthisminute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it when a not really planned, mostly just winging it project comes together:)

      Delete