Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Little Dresses {An Upcycling Project}

A few weeks ago Allison over at Sequins and Scribbles posted pictures of some totally adorable children's dresses that she made out of upcycled t shirts. Allison is a very talented lady and she has an Etsy store stocked with awesome handmade stuff that I drool over on an almost daily basis. Am I gushing too much? Sorry. But seriously. Cute. Stuff.

Anyway, back to the upcycled dresses. I was instantly enamored of the idea and while I am no where near as talented as Allison I thought I would give the concept a whirl. I stopped by the St. Vincent de Paul store and picked up a load of old tshirts for $1 each to practice on. And I did need practice.

First Edition
I really liked the colors on this one but other than that it didn't have much going for it. The skirt was too narrow and it was hindering Noni's attempts at crawling. The belt was placed wrong, which is why you can't see it in the picture. It's hidden under her belly chunk. Oh well, back to the sewing table.

Second Edition


 Gathering. I haven't done it since I was a kid "helping" my mom make a Halloween costume. I knew the basic concept so I just plowed forward without the aid of Youtube videos. Despite that, they turned out ok. Not masterpieces, but hey, ruffles!

Third Edition


With this most recent attempt I changed the placement of the sleeves and fiddled with the ruffles a little. The execution isn't great, but I am finally happy with the design. It's comfortable (I assume), easy to move in, and fun to look at.


But now I am out of t shirts. And I have out myself on a thrifting diet so I can catch up on my project queue. Double sad face.


But as soon as I paint a few things I am totally back at the St. Vincent store to get a zillion more tees, 'cause I think she needs about a dozen more.

Yayyyyyyy!


Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

3 comments:

  1. This is super cute!! I have a bunch of old tees that would be fun to make into dresses for my daughter. What a great idea!

    I would love for you to share this post (and any others!) at my Life of the Party link up. It just opened! Im going to poke around your site a little more.
    http://thegrantlife.com/life-party-2/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are cute! I really like the second ruffled one, but the sleeves on the last one do look better. Good job! P.S. If you like ruffles and don't want to be stuck gathering (personally I hate it) get a ruffling foot for your sewing machine...definitely worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo thanks so much for the tip, Erin! Just put one in my Amazon cart. This should make things easier!

      Delete