Friday, August 23, 2013

Powder Room Re-Redux

So I meant to post 2-3 times this week, but it looks like it is only going to be the once! I was working on a project. Brace yourselves for an excessive number of pictures of my bathroom.

This is what our first-floor powder room looked like when our realtor took us through (almost two years ago now--wow!) It is tucked under the stairs where some people have a closet.


It is teeny. Teeny tiny. And I'm not one of those obnoxious women on House Hunters who won't shut up that her 6'x8' bathroom is justtoosmall. You have to back up to use the toilet. IT'S SMALL.



There was a kind of miniature bathtub hidden beside the sink.


The tub wasn't original. As you can clearly see in this picture, the space for the tub was stolen from the kitchen during some pretty ghastly "renovations" some decades ago.

We debated long and hard about whether or not to remove the bathtub when we were redoing the kitchen, and in the end we decided that the destiny of that 18 square-foot patch of space was to be re-incorporated into the kitchen.


Which left the bathroom looking like this:



And it stayed that way for the next 8 months or so while we focused on the kitchen reno. Although we did remove the grab-bars at some point. I'm not dissing grab-bars. Time marches on, folks, and someday we will all need some toilet handle action. But the bathroom is just SO SMALL that those handles made the space feel a little like an iron maiden.


Then my in-laws came to visit this past February and while Nemo and his dad were installing a new front door, my mother-in-law offered to paint the bathroom. I, or course, said yes. I already had a color picked out an everything.

However, there was some sort of mix-up at the paint store and the color that went on the walls was most definitely NOT the color I picked out. It was supposed to be this:


Valspar Toasted Oat

Instead, I got this:


Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! My eyes! It was a seriously bright, migraine-inducing yellow color. Of course I didn't notice the mix-up until the walls were already painted, but I figured that it was better than bare drywall!

So that was back in February...lessee that was six months ago now. Six months was apparently my breaking point because one day I got the sudden urge to repaint it, and I didn't care how many nap times it would take. That bathroom needed to be FINISHED dammit!

Buuuut I didn't have much money. Isn't that always the case? So I made do with what I had. Ok, I did make a few purchases, but the total amount I spent on this project was $29!

1. Paint for the walls. I made a huge concession here and used the leftover paint from the kitchen. It is one of my pettest of pet peeves when the same materials are used in both the kitchen and the bathroom. Like having the same floor tile. It just gives me the heebie jeebies, I don't know why. Anyway, FREE, except for the mental anguish.
2. Paint for the ceiling. Already had this in my paint stash, so FREE!

3. New baseboards for the wall where the tub used to be: Not free, but only $1! I didn't need much, and there was a piece on the clearance cart at Lowes because the end was damaged. So I didn't use that end.

4. New quarter round to go with new baseboard: $3. Nemo gave me a lesson with his miter saw so I made some of the cuts myself! 

5. Fresh white paint for baseboards and door: $25. I bought a whole gallon because white paint always comes in handy.

5. Towels, candle, and cup: All gifts, so FREE!




 6. Picture: I thrifted this a few years ago. It reminds me of an illustration from a Hans Christian Andersen book I had as a kid, so it is one of my favorites. It used to hang in the bathroom at our old house but I hadn't put it up here yet because both the bathrooms were gross and not worthy of my favorite picture. I did spend $4 on some white spray paint for the frame.




   

This project cost me three consecutive nap times. I was surprised it took so long since it's such a small room (for real), but I would gladly have spent twice the time. I don't even care that it's the same color as the kitchen.




DIY Show Off

7 comments:

  1. I have spent much to much time reading your blog. I should be folding clothes, oh well!
    I love your bathroom makeover. I hope you will consider coming to share your creativity at our link party. We are Craft Frenzy, http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com
    Come check us out. We are new to blogging but have a lot of energy and passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhonda! I will definitely check out your link party.

      Delete
  2. Cute makeover, Eva! Love how the color ended up turning out! Great job!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful update! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-last-weeks-top-three.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great transformation! It looks beautiful, and I love the framed print!
    Brittany @ Whimsy Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Roeshel! I couldn't be happier with the result.

      Delete