Linking up with Jen over at Conversion Diary with some bog overhaulin’ Quick Takes.
Last weekend while Nemo and the kids were visiting his parents I had a blissful 48 hours to myself. When planning how I would spend my weekend off I knew that I wanted to overhaul my blog, but I wasn’t quite sure where to start. I am pretty clueless when it comes to fancy schmancy technology things. Luckily for me the lovely Sheena over at Bean in Love had a very well-timed post featuring her favorite blogging tools. It was invaluable! When the fam headed out the door I was ready to git ‘er done. Here’s what I did:
1. New banner! I downloaded the honeycomb background here. There are a variety of different colors and they are all available FOR FREE! I cropped the image to banner size (450 pixels by 1200 pixels in my case), then inserted the text using Picasa Creative Kit because it had a font that I liked.
2. About Page. Nothing says “professional blog” like an about page, right? First I had to learn how to create a new page, because I am in no way an actual professional blogger. Then I spent a few precious hours writing the content. I hope I covered everything! You can check it out here.
3. Tabs. Also a hallmark of a spiffy blog, n’est-ce pas? The tabs lead to a page that contains all the posts that have the corresponding labels. Adding this feature meant I had to go back through all (ok, most) of my posts and actually label them. Because I have been exceptionally lazy about that thus far.
4. Background. I am very proud of this part because I generated the striped background by myself. Didn’t have to steal it or anything! For this part I used Pixlr, an online photo editing program. You don’t have to spend any money or download a thing to use it! Just go to the website, upload an image and get started editing! You can also create your own image, which is what I did. I started a blank image then added the stripes. I saved the image to my computer, then in Blogger I went from Template—>Customize—>Background and uploaded the image.
5. Pinterest “Pin It” Mouseover. I used the tutorial found here to install a widget that puts a “Pin It” button on my images when you hover over the image. The image I used for the button came from the collection of (FREE!!!) Pinterest Buttons available over at Pink Moustache.
6. Signature. To make my new signature graphic I created a blank image over at Pixlr, then I uploaded that blank image to PicMonkey, another online photo editing program that Sheena recommended. I used the cute graphics and fonts there to whip up the signature. I love the way it turned out!
7. Windows Live Writer. I’ve been using Blogger for years—YEARS!!!—and it has always irritated me that it is so difficult and time consuming to get images placed exactly where you want. Whole days of my life, down the drain I tell you! Windows Live Writer is a free download and it solves all of my problems. Now I can write my posts within WLW and I can put my dang pictures WHEREVER I WANT AND NO BACKTALK. Plus there are a lot of other cool features. But obviously the picture thing is my fave.
Now head on over to Conversion Diary for more of the QTs!
Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.