Monday, September 2, 2013

Trash Top

So the other day I cleaned my sewing room. I typically light outta there in a hurry when the kids wake up from their naps so it gets cleaned pretty much never.

While tidying I came across an old button-up shirt of Nemo's that I had forgotten was up there. He had donated it to my craft heap because it had a couple of hard-to-conceal holes on the back and he figured I could use it for something, bless his heart.


So I quit cleaning and started cutting up this shirt. As I have one upcycling project under my belt I am now an expert. This is going to turn out fine, right?

I did some cutting. I did some sewing. Then a lot of seam ripping. Then some hole-hiding with a few strategically placed darts. There was also a lot of trying to get my new creation off and on without jabbing myself with a pin. {Note to self: must save birthday money for a dress form}. Lastly I did some re-sewing, re-ripping, and re-re-sewing.

Slowly, oh so slowly, it started to come together. Darts added to back. Princess seams to front. Repositioned armholes. Moved front pocket to a useful level at which to carry a phone.


Ha!
Michelangelo may have discovered statues within blocks of stone, but I discover house dresses within men's button down shirts.

Shared at IHeartNaptime Link Party Palooza!

Get Your DIY On

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

4 comments:

  1. NIce job! It looks great on you! I just did a men's button-up refashion myself! Check it out! http://greylustergirl.com/peplum-refashion/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! that's so cute! My hubby has tons of shirts that he's done with that I could use for this. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Ashley Rane Sparks
    www.makeitrane.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! Please SHARE this cool post at my linky party if you haven’t already, hope you stop by every week and please add as many as you would like! I really appreciate your support and encouragement .
    http://sweethaute.blogspot.com/2013/09/thursday-sweet-haute-share.html

    Be Sweet~
    Christina at
    SWEET HAUTE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, your sewing talents never cease to amaze me! I would never in a million years have thought to turn a men's shirt into something that cute! It looks great on you! Thank you so much for linking up at "Get Your DIY On"! I hope to see you Sunday with your fall wreath! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete