Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Dressing Up the Brick

I must think of a brick wall... a brick wall... I must think of a brick wall... a brick wall... (name that movie!)

When we first moved into this house, one of the kitchen walls was covered in awesome-looking tin panels. Here’s a pic:


Ok you can’t see it very well from that angle. Here’s another one:


(By the way that delicious-looking cake is sitting on an old door supported by sawhorses, which served as our ONLY kitchen counter during the four months between the time we moved in and when we began the renovation.)

Unfortunately the tin wall couldn’t be saved—it had a pretty crappy patch job in one area and it had also been damaged by a long-ago water leak. It was so sad. But once I saw the brick behind it I, I forgot about the tin. Almost.

We decided we wanted to leave the brick exposed. The only problem was the hole you see on the right of the picture. As best we can figure, that it where a stovepipe used to vent. We stuffed the hole with insulation right away to keep our heat from going up the chimney, but the hole detracted a lot from the charm…



We spent several months trying to think of ways to make it a little bit less conspicuous, and finally, inspiration finally struck.



I got some cheapish wall art from Bed, Bath, and Beyond that were exactly the right size to cover the hole. Obviously I needed to get two so it didn’t look all lopsided. I felt like such a jerk for just hiding it, but hey, it worked, and I am a busy lady!

That simple fix helped the space a lot, but I thought we could do better. After watching several This Old House episodes featuring “Swedish Modern” style (which involves a lot of using everyday items as art), I decided I wanted to hang some of our copper-bottomed pots in the space between the two pictures.

I looked at a couple of options in the store, but they were all kind of pricy. Then I remembered this memo board that I had in storage.


It was completely busted when it fell as I was trying to mount it on the wall of the nursery. Or maybe I threw it across the room in a hormonal rage when I couldn’t get the wall anchors to cooperate. You’ll never know.

I kept it around because I thought it might come in handy some day, and those hooks along the bottom were exactly what I needed.

One evening I cornered Nemo and had him build a simple shelf out of scrap wood.


After a few coats of flat white ceiling paint (the best option that I had in my stash), I removed the hooks from the memo board and lined them up on the shelf.


Using a pencil, I marked where the screws would go, then I made a fourth mark just below the others.


Then I cornered Nemo again and had him mount the shelf on the brick by putting Tapcon screws through each of the bonus holes. Then he installed the hooks where I had marked, and thus the mounting screws were completely hidden!

IMG_0630

Brief sidetrack: a couple of weeks ago I found a buttload (buttload = 30) of Mason jars at the St. Vincent store. Usually they are priced at 50 cents a piece, but I saw a couple of big bags on the loading dock that hadn’t been priced yet, so I offered $4 for the lot of them and they took it!
When I got them home and unpacked them I discovered that I was the proud owner of two blue Mason jars!

20131009_080134

I’ve always wanted a blue jar because I think they're so pretty! And now I had two. Then I received a third as a hand-me-down. I am a lucky gal:)

We used most of the jars to can applesauce last week but all the blue ones had some damage on the rims so they weren’t safe for canning. Too bad so sad. Guess I’ll have to use them to decorate!



IMG_0627



IMG_0629



I love it. I love every bit of it. My heart does a happy dance whenever I look at my lovely brick wall!

Fun fact: The flowers in the jars are part of a silk flower arrangement that Nemo made for me with his own two hands when we were dating. So, um, yeah, kind of had to marry that guy.
 


 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram. 

*Shared at Not Just a Housewife and Clean and Scentsible.
Love Grows Wild
52 Mantels

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I'm in LOVE with how you decorated the brick. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it when a project comes together with very little advance planning:) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow, wow, wow!!! That is amazing. I love the final look and am floored by your thrift. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn! I spent more than I wanted to on the art but I made up for it with the completely free shelf:)

      Delete