Friday, October 11, 2013

Nemo’s Birthday


nemo
Nemo had a birthday last week! I don't think I have the clearance to tell you how many he is now, but rest assured it is a lot. Older than dirt, that one.

Nemo's workplace doesn't really have a dress code, so he has quite an extensive collection of tshirts. For the past several years I have been intending to turn some of the worn out, stained, or ripped ones into a tshirt quilt. This year, I finally got around to it and finished it just in time for his birthday!
CJ and I spent mucho hours in the attic sewing room (during Noni’s morning naps) putting this beast together. His job is to take out the pins, which means I have to stop the machine whenever I get to another pin. It slows down the process some what but he gets a little bent out of shape if I don’t let him help.
I got 20 tshirts out of storage, and cut out 12”x12” squares from the fronts, then applied fusible interfacing to each square to make the jersey fabric easier to work with.
    
For the fabric that went between the tshirt squares I used an old pair of Nemo’s corduroys and some scraps of green corduroy that I had lying around. The border around the outside was salvaged from a corduroy jacket I got at Goodwill for crafting purposes. When I was done with it the jacket was reduced to some scraps of lining and a pile of buttons.
20131001_152308
The backing was made of a pair of flannel sheets from Nemo’s bachelor days. They haven’t been used once since we got married. It’s not that I didn’t like them—ok, I didn’t like them. But I am glad they didn’t go to waste.

Finished product!
IMG_20131003_100116

Nemo professes to love it and has been cuddled up under it ever since he unwrapped it.

nemo bday

(On a side note, I have been trying to learn GIMP, an open-source photo editing program. Can you tell I’m having a lot of fun with it?)

I finished the quilt just in time (literally) to whip up some carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. The carrot business was per his request—my general policy on baked goods is that if it ain’t chocolate, it ain’t worth it. But you know, they were actually pretty dang good! Martha Stewart wouldn’t steer me wrong.

In a stroke of genius I cut a notch in the top of carrot sticks and used them to hold the birthday message. But then I forgot to buy birthday candles. Ah well. I guess we’ll have to try again next year.
IMG_0495

IMG_0498

Dang I love that guy. He deserves these cupcakes plus a whole lot more.

 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. Love the quilt! I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar for my own husband, who hates to let go of old clothes. The worst are his argyle socks (which is the only type he ever wears). The toe and heel will get totally worn out, and he always cuts out the cuffs and tries to convince me to keep them in my scrap pile so I can make something cool from them....ugh. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I would probably be tempted to keep the sock cuffs too because I always find myself in need of stretchy knit material. I use for the neck of pullover bibs and stuff like that:)

      Delete