Sunday, November 3, 2013

Dr. Frankendress (What I Wore Sunday)


It all started with this dress:



 It was in the same Salvation Army haul as my last WIWS outfit.  The size tag had been cut out of this turquoise dress and there wasn’t a dressing room in which to try it on, but I really loved the color and I really REALLY loved the stretchy jersey fabric (so comfy) so I took a gamble and bought it.

As it turned out, the bodice was way too small. I hung it up on my “to upcycle” clothing rack in my sewing attic and focused on some other projects. Completely by chance it ended up hanging next to a pink top with black polka dots, and I thought they looked pretty great together. So I decided I would try to combine them together into a dress.

Here is the shirt layered over the dress.

When I was a teenager my dance instructor told me to reconsider my enrollment in his class because dance “wasn’t my thing”. True story.

I cut the bodice off the dress and I gathered the remaining skirt so that it fit well at my waist. I didn’t need to gather it much because Scarlett O’Hara I ain’t.



Then I cut off the bottom of the t-shirt so it was early 90’s length.



I took in the sides of the tshirt a bit with my serger. So interesting, I know.

Then I sewed the top to the bottom, and voila!



The fabric around the waistline ended up getting a bit stretched out so it looked a little funky, but since I was planning to belt it, it didn’t much matter.

IMG_2146

Everyone oooh and aaah at Nemo’s new piano. He bought it at Goodwill with his birthday money. A very big thanks to the friends and family who helped get it into the house! He’s been playing it ever since.

Noni was looking very cute at Mass in a jumper that I found at the St. Vincent Store. I also found a hat that I knitted for my niece a few years ago in a box of baby clothes I borrowed from my sister. I’m glad I found it because it was almost too small!

IMG_2094

My mom is visiting us this weekend! We usually hit up the 7:30am Mass, but I thought it would be a bit rude to make her get up at dawn to go to church with us, so we hunted down a Mass at a more reasonable time. We ended up going to the University’s chapel, and I just loved it! It reminded me a lot of the Oratory we used to go to in grad school.

It was pretty small, I’m guessing only about 100 people were there, if that. It was so small that everyone, and I do mean everyone, could hear CJ saying, “No church!” and “Allllllll done” over and over again. Not his best week. We’ll have to work on that.

Blessed Sunday, everyone! I’m going to go hang out with my mom.

Be sure to stop by Fine Linen and Purple for some more Sunday finery!

 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I want your sewing skills. Cute, cute, CUTE! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I don't consider myself an accomplished sewist but I always have big plans and a little free time to experiment! Sometimes it works out, other times... :P

      Delete
  2. Love it! It's my dream to get good enough at sewing to be able to do some serious upcycling. But right now I'm still figuring out straight stitches :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! Straight stitches are overrated, imho:)

      Delete
  3. Sweet sewing skills there! I love that turquoise color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I am one of the last people to board the turquoise train, but I am really digging it right now:)

      Delete