Sunday, December 29, 2013

Baby's First Christmas

Merry Christmas! I am totally milking the "it ain't over til the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord" thing for all it's worth, because our Christmas Eve/Christmas Day experience left something to be desired.

I will give you a visual clue as the the source of our misery:


So, Noni had been fussy on and off for the few days before Christmas. Sometimes she would be downright pleasant.


 And sometimes...not so much.


It got progressively worse and worse and by the time Christmas Eve evening rolled around, she was downright inconsolable. All I could do was wear her in the Boba and walk around and around the house, and then even that wouldn't keep her from bawling. I thought maybe she was just overtired, and I decided to put her to bed even though it was only 5:30 and we were right in the middle of the family gift exchange. 

I was just about to execute this plan when she barfed. All. Over. Us. (Remember, I was wearing her in the baby carrier)

I adjusted my hypothesis: A resurgence of the stomach bug we had battled the week before. I had foolishly thought that, since we JUST BEEN SICK that meant we would have a healthy Christmas. I can totally hear all you veteran moms out there giving me an, "Oh honey..."

I hurried her and her germs away from the family and shut us both up in the bedroom, and while I was getting her ready for bed she started to look very woozy and disoriented. At that point I put two and two together and realized that she probably had an ear infection. Neither she nor CJ have ever had an ear infection before, so I was a little slow on the uptake.

Of course it was Christmas Eve in the evening, we were far from home, and the local Med Express was closed for the holiday (what!!!! Is that allowed?!?!?), so I had take her to the ER for diagnosis. I tried to leave discretely so the rest of the family could celebrate but it is very hard to sneak off when someone is vomiting copiously all over just-changed clothes. It took several tries to get out the door.

By the time we got there she wasn't doing well at all. She's never really been sick before, and it was heartbreaking to see her so miserable.

Luckily we didn't have to wait long to be seen and the doctor found out pretty quickly that she indeed had an ear infection along with a pretty high fever (super-star mom over here didn't even think to check). We got the antibiotics and then hurried home to put that poor sick baby to bed. 

Luckily she was recovered enough by morning that we still had a nice Christmas Day. No more digestive pyrotechnics, thank goodness.


Even with antibiotics and a steady stream of Tylenol, life hasn't been easy for Noni (or me) for the last few days, but I think she may be turning a corner. I'm looking forward to a non-screamy remainder of the Christmas season.




 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment