Friday, December 6, 2013

In the Nick of Time

Sorry about the title. I just couldn't help myself.

Today is the feast of Saint Nicholas!

 It snuck up on me, of course. I made a resolution to start celebrating the liturgical year better, but there it was the evening of the 5th, the kids were in bed, and I hadn't prepared for St. Nick's visit.

{I did remember to fill CJ in about St. Nick bringing presents and apparently he is getting old enough to understand such things because his response to the news was an appropriate, "Oh boy!}


I had intended to make slippers for the kids to leave outside their bedroom doors, but I only had five hours before it was officially St. Nick's feast day, so I had to whittle down my expectations a little bit.


Since CJ and Noni didn't have stockings yet, and I thought making stockings was a bit more realistic that making slippers. I had lots of cute corduroy and flannel in my scrap heap, so why not?


First I traced the outline of a stocking using Nemo's as a template...


Then cut out all the pieces...


 Then did some quick-and-dirty letter appliques...


And then sewed it all together.

 I (I mean, St. Nick) left each of the kids a Brother Francis dvd (lucky for me I had them on hand; I didn't actually buy them for St. Nick's) and also the leftover Halloween candy that neither mommy or daddy was interested in eating.

 No chocolate. Not interested.

I put the stockings outside the kids' bedrooms and left a St. Nicholas statue (that I picked up at a thrift store earlier this year) to stand guard.


I got in just under the wire--in bed by 11:30pm.

Now let's feast!

P.s. I loved Tsh's post about celebrating the real Santa Claus.

P.p.s. Have you entered the Humblebee Advent Giveaway yet? Dooooo itttttt.

 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment