Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Humblebee Family RV Vacay Experience

So a while ago I blogged about our dream to buy a bus and convert it to a motor home. If you know me in real life I've probably talked your ear off about it. We're completely geeking out. 

We are still DEEP in the planning phase, but we thought while we are waiting for various ducks to get in a row, it might be a good idea to rent an RV for a short trip just to get a feel for the whole experience, seeing as we haven't actually gone RVing before. That sounds like something a responsible adult would do, right? We are so mature sometimes that it kills me.

Since we were scheduled to visit my family in Michigan over Thanksgiving, and we thought it would be the perfect opportunity. We drove most of the way there in our little car but when we got a little nearer to our destination we ended up renting a 30-foot Class C motor home from Cruise America and then parked it in my parents' driveway for the long weekend. And they pretended not to be embarrassed by it AT ALL. They are such troopers.


 I was a tad worried about the sleeping arrangements. There was a master bedroom in the back with a queen bed for Nemo and I, but there was very little floor space for portable cribs (yes, CJ still sleeps in a crib at the ripe age of 2-and-a-half. He has yet to figure out that he can climb out. I thank my lucky stars for that every day).

When we were planning this trip we decided that CJ was going to have to sleep in a portable toddler bed, like so:

My MIL and I scored it at a consignment sale a while back but we had yet to use it. I brought it out the night before we left so CJ would be familiar with it, and luckily he took a shine to it.

So we ended up putting Noni's crib on the folded-down dinette and CJ's toddler bed on the folded-down futon.

Despite never having slept in the same room before, they slept like super stars. I credit their exhaustion from playing with cousins all day. CJ managed to roll over the barrier of the toddler bed and fall off the futon the first night, but luckily he wasn't hurt and it didn't happen again.

After Thanksgiving we made an overnight trip out to my family's farm, in a small town that is right out of a John Mellencamp song.



The hour-and-a-half drive there in the RV was awesome. It was really comfy, compared to a tiny tiny Honda, and I felt pretty dang spiffy when we were cruising around in that beast, let me tell you.


via

On the whole the experience was very positive. Price-wise, it was slightly cheaper than staying at a Holiday Inn Express, it was just as clean and comfy, and it was actually a lot nicer than a hotel room because I didn't have to share a room with these loud sleepers:

Plus, unlike the a Holiday Inn, it was right next door to my parents' house.

It also had cupboards to play in.


So the RV conversion is happening, folks. Brace yourselves.

 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this post. We are planning a 2 week motor home trip (in the same Cruise America 30') in a few weeks. We will be traveling with a 3.5 yo and a rambunctious 20 month old. I was totally stumped as to how to handle the naps and bedtime sleeping arrangements with our youngest. She still sleeps in a crib -thank goodness-it keeps her from escaping! :) The images here really helped me visualize it all. There is so little info out there that is helpful to RVing with young kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found this helpful! We had a wonderful time in the rented RV and I hope you do as well. Happy travels!

      Delete