Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Smattering on Saturday


Well, the kitchen is (mostly) tidied, the toys are (mostly) put away, and six loads of laundry are (mostly) folded and put away. I'm calling it a win. Looking forward to my day of (relative) rest tomorrow!

Here are some stories from this week that could be elaborated into complete blog posts, but unfortunately I have to jet to go watch last week's Downton so I will be all caught up to watch live tomorrow. You know how it is.
 
Something that went right:
After the nightmare month of an ear infection, holiday traveling, and cutting two eye teeth, Noni has evened out a little bit. I might even go so far as to say she is content more often than not.This. Is. HUGE!!! I attibute some of the attitude change to the fact that she learned to walk the night before her birthday--seriouisly, it was all at once--and she is having a blast walking in endless loops around the house. Love that new toddler zombie walk.

 Something that went wrong:
CJ skipped his nap the last two days. Other than a memorable nap strike when he was 15 months old (during which month he napped only 4 times), he is usually pretty good about getting some zzzzs in the afternoons. Almost 3 hours of zzzs, actually. I know a lot of kids his age (2.5) are starting to give up naps, but I don't think it's possible to go from needing 3-hour naps to not needing any. But I really hope this strike stays on the short side, because he is getting MEAN.

Something thrifted:
I am technically on a spending cleanse, but today I was running errands kid-less and I couldn't  help but notice I was in the general vicinity of Salvation Army, so I thought I'd pop in to see what was new. And I'm verrry glad I did, because I found this:

{Hair courtesy of a magazine-recommended curly hair styling tip that went awry}
That is genuine vintage, y'all, and for only $3.49! Matching belt included. It needs some altering, as it's on the large side and I think it would look way better with 3/4 sleeves, but obviously I adore it. 

 When I was taking the pictures I realized that it had pockets, and when I reached into one of them I was alarmed to feel a wad of something in there. There was definitely a moment of OH MY PEAS WHAT AM I TOUCHING?! But there's a happy ending: it turned out to be a cute (and clean, thank goodness!) hanky. Whew.

 

Something sewn:

I tried making boot socks from the arms of an old sweater, like these:
{via}
It was a fa-fa-fa-fail. They were super baggy and way too long--plus I broke a sewing machine needle in the process, so it's a double fail. It's back to the drawing board.

Something said:
We took the kids to McDonalds for the first time in their lives. We're not fast food boycotters or anything; we just prefer to spend our money on house renovations. Anyway, we had a little bit of cabin fever setting in so I thought we would head out to the golden arches for lunch and let the kids run around in the play area. CJ was super confused, as he had never been there before, and was convinced that we were going to Old MacDonald's Farm.

So we were sitting there, CJ is drinking from his bottle of milk, and he's singing, "Old MacDonald had a MILK!!! Ee eye ee eye ooooooh!"

That kid's got to get out more.

 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment