Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Home Tour for the Rest of Us

This isntallment of Jen's 7 Posts in 7 Days challenge is brought to you by the poor overworked television. No thanks to the bazillion errands I had to run.

***

I don't know about you, but I am a sucker for home tours on la internet. But while I consider myself to be a good home renovator (or, at the very least, a good home renovation PLANNER) but I am not a tidy person and I have zero skill when it comes to home decorating. But that's not going to stop me! Put your helmet on; it's time for a Humblebee Home Tour.

Keep in mind that I took these pictures AFTER spending most of the morning cleaning. 

 Welcome to our home. Sorry, the coat rack is full. But if you need to change a dirty diaper, you have come to the right place.

1. Changing table (actually a cheap dresser) plus a diaper pail.

2. A stroller, because we don't have a garage.

3. A yellow cloth diaper cover draped artfully over the stroller to lend the entryway a pop of color.

4. Coat rack built by Nemo and stained by myself, topped with knitting, church quiet books, and other odds and ends.


Walk through the non-functioning pocket doors and you will find yourself in our living room, which was much improved recently by the addition of a new sofa that replaced the old Craigslisted one that Pippin the Cat ruined. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

1. More knitting on the mantle. Apparently I have unfinished knitting projects stashed all over the house.

2. An ecclectic mantlescape featuring a crucifix, a beer stein, a smoke alarm, and Nemo's baptism candle.

3. The only place in the house that CJ can't reach, hence; this is where we keep the iPad.

4. Another stroller. In the living room. Ye gods, I need a garage.

5. Throw pillow slipcovers made from a thrifted tablecloth. It doesn't get any more lowbrow than that, folks.



Now please come through to the dining room, where we never actually dine. 

1. Antique map print hung awkwardly high.

2. A small part of CJ's extensive collection of alphabet and number-themed toys.

3. OMG why do I hang pictures so high? Also, two years' worth of palms.

4. Desks!

5. Beige carpet + two toddlers = NO FOOD IN THE DINING ROOM!
1. More diapers brightening up the space. These ones are clean.

2. The cabinet of forbidden toys (anything with more than two pieces).

3. To the untrained eye this looks like a banana box from Aldi, but if you tilt your head and squint your eyes you can see that it is actually a laundry basket.

And now to the heart of our home...the kitchen! We are 641 days into the renovation, and it still isn't complete.

1. Over the sink shelf constructed out of scraps, which is handy for storing cook books and also the toddler crack better known as Flintstones "bye-tamins".

2. There's supposed to be trim up here.

3. Bag of cat food camouflaging the absence of baseboards.



Make a right at the bag of cat food and you will be in our lovely pantry nook. 

1. Generously-sized pantry full of graham crackers and fruit leather, topped by another banana box. This one is what I bring to Aldi each week to tote the graham crackers and fruit leather home.

2. Paper bags. What better place for them, I ask you?

3. Corner where I hide all of the things (toaster, cooling racks, bread machine, pizza peel, tea kettle, tea mugs, tea bags...)

4. Our one and only house plant. It's a feisty little violet that has somehow managed to survive my neglect for about eight months.

1. My only decorating win.

2. Our command center lets us keep the ignored meal plan, the overfull calendar, the forgotten chore list, the expired Michael's coupons, and fliers for events we will never attend all in one convenient location.

Thanks for coming! No, sorry, you can't go upstairs. Where do you think all my stuff is?



 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

3 comments:

  1. Your house is so cozy. I LOVE your bright and cheery kitchen- and that exposed brick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The kitchen is definitely my favorite place in the house. It turned out just like I imagined it! Now if only we could finish it...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I just love how it's perfect levels of inspiring (make do with what I have) and not intimidating (I totally stink at organizing and decorating and just get easily overwhelmed by perfect houses). Love how family friendly this is!

    ReplyDelete