Thursday, February 27, 2014

DIY Hair Plopping Cap {Tutorial}


Why is it that alternative hair care methods have such unfortunate names? I have been a no-pooist for a while now (washing and conditioning my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar, respectively) and I have recently been experimenting with "hair plopping".

I'm always hunting for the silver bullet that will turn my wild, frizzy hair into gorgeous curls, so I was excited to learn about hair plopping a few weeks over at Fine Linen and Purple. Basically, plopping involves tying a tshirt or microfiber towel over your head when your hair is still wet, and somehow when your hair dries it has magic curls. I was intrigued and immediately started hunting for more information all over the internet, which turned up a few good tutorials.

But I really couldn't get the hang of the whole tying the tshirt part, plus it sounded really uncomfortable to sleep in (some experienced ploppers recommend sleeping with your hair plopped), so after a few experiments I gave up for a while--but then today I had some time to kill, so I thought I would make a cap with an elastic band that would take the place of the twisted-and-tied tshirt.

For this project you are going to need a ratty old tshirt, 1" woven elastic (which you can get at a fabric store or Walmart), some pins, a pair of scissors, a safety pin, and a sewing machine.

First, cut up one of the side seams of the tshirt, then cut from armpit to armpit. This will give you a nice long rectangle


Then turn up the hem so that there is 1 inch between the original hem and the fold.


Then sew along the original hem. This will create a tube for the elastic to go through.


Next, you gotta measure out your elastic. You are going to want it snug so it will stay on, but not SO snug that you will get a headache. Hold the elastic around your head so that it follows your hairline (you don't want the band to touch any of your hair, lest it leave a dent), tighten until it is the appropriate snugness, then mark and cut (being sure to leave about 1" extra for the seam allowance.

Attach the safety pin to one end of the elastic and start working it through the tube.


Be sure to pin the other end in place so it doesn't get pulled through!


Once you've worked the elastic through to the other side, pin that end down as well. Then fold your rectangle in half with right sides together. At this point it's going to look like this:


Lastly, pin the raw edges together and sew. It doesn't have to be pretty since it's going to be on the inside of the cap!

Then all you have to to is turn it right side-out and use!
1. Get your hair wet, then bend over so your hair is hanging perpindicular to the floor (not shown since it looked way awkward). Slip the cap over your hair, making sure the band is resting below your hairline

2. Find the corners of the cap.

3. Tie the corners in a loose knot on top of your head.

4. Let your hair dry!

Ok, so I haven't officially used this yet (since I just made it two hours ago) but I am planning on showering before I go to bed and sleeping with the cap on. I'll post a hair update in the morning. Try to contain your excitement.

 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment