Monday, February 24, 2014

Shop Updates {7in7}

So, I made a spur of the moment decision to participate in Jen's 7 Posts in 7 Days challenge, which is an awesome addition to my already epic week. In the next seven days I have an a doctor's appointment, a tax professional appointment, a car inspection appointment, a MOPS meeting for which I need to bring a brunch dish to share and I will also be providing a door prize to promote my Etsy shop, and two gigs with my band. Like I said, EPIC.

SPEAKING of the shop, I've been having a lot of fun with it lately. I recently started making rainbow dresses out of upcycled t-shirts. They are sooo fun to make!

I've never really taken my shop very seriously--I never expected to make a living off of crafts, I just wanted to have a self-sustaining hobby:) But I have allowed myself to dream a little bit lately--perhaps if I put in a little effort I could use my profit to pay for preschool for CJ, or more organic food for the family, or let's face it, Shabby Apple dresses for moi.

So. I've recently started taking some baby steps to make my shop a little more legit.

Baby Step #1 - Branding!
I had a custom rubber stamp made (by the Etsy shop Stamp Out Online) so I can make branded clothing tags and also stamp the order packaging. See how cute?

Baby Step #2 - Keeping Track of Things!
I told Nemo to hunt the web for a pre-made spreadsheet to keep track of my Etsy finances, and he directed me to this one from Cthulhu Chick. It's going swimmingly so far, at least compared to my old system.

Baby Step #3 - Banking!
I've been wanting a separate checking account for the shop for a while now, but my attempts to get it done without the small ones present always failed. So today I put on my big girl pants and took them along to the bank.

Luckily there were bowls of Dum-Dums everywhere in this joint, which the kids were delighted to reduce to sticky slobber while I signed papers.

I foresee my bookkeeping being a lot less confusing now that my craft supply purchases are no longer jumbled in with all the household purchases. Seriously, so excited about this!

I also have plans to branch out a little--currently I only sell baby things but someday soon I hope to include upcycled items in a lot of categories. But that is going to have to wait for another day because my book discussion group is meeting tomorrow evening and I still have 27% of the book to read. To the kindle!
 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

1 comment:

  1. That dress!!! Oh it is so cute!!! Must learn to sew better so I can make things that aren't total fails... You should do a giveaway! I promise to share it all over the internet :) And I'd be happy to do a review of that rainbow dress, wink wink ;)

    ReplyDelete