Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Stars Aligned {WIWS}


No Mass behavior report on the kids this week, because grandparents. Nemo and I enjoyed a nice quiet Mass, but I still didn't absorb enough of it to actually comment on it. I'm trying to get into the habit of going over the readings later in the day on Sunday to help things sink in...but I keep forgetting that too. Le sigh. I've got LOTS of room for spiritual development this Lent, let me tell you.

***

If you know me, you know that I go thrifting. OFTEN. And I know for a fact that great finds are few and far between. Well-designed clothes made of high-quality materials are becoming more and more rare, so very few find their way into thrift shops. In order to find the good stuff, you either need to possess a) perseverance or b) pure dumb luck.

All of my good finds thus far in my thrifting career have been due to the former. I may put off cleaning the bathroom for weeks at a time because I am "just too busy", but I make the time to go thrifting at least twice a week and sometimes more. With dedication (obsession) like that, I am bound to find a few treasures.

HOWEVER last week I made the find of a lifetime, and it was due to lady luck.

I went to a Goodwill that I rarely go to, mostly because it is in a different state and I almost never feel like going that far, but that day I had something else to do in the area and I decided to pop in and see what they had.

And GUESS WHAT THEY HAD? A Boden dress, like new, in my size, for $4.

I mean, what are the odds?

Boden has been on my radar for a while (Hallie's fault) but I had yet to add one to my collection. I must say, this one has lived up to the hype. It's fully lined, for goodness' sake. How many dresses can say that these days?

It's quite a rush, let me tell you.
Dress: Boden, thrifted
Necklace: Accessory swap at my MOPS group
Boots: Keen
Old Lady Hands: Too much sewing, fiddle playing, and mandolin learning. I also blame stupid winter.
Dressed up. Linked up.

 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

10 comments:

  1. Stars aligned, indeed! We love mini boden- I eBay, though, so not *quite* as nice as $4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any mini Boden, but now that the kids have stopped out growing things every other second I'm definitely going to try to find some:)

      Delete
  2. You seriously win at life. That's amazing! Love love love that dress - awesome find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) If I had been shopping on Boden's website I don't know if I would have picked it out of all the others, but at that price point I wasn't about to let it slip through my fingers! And now that I have it I am realizing how much I like it!

      Delete
  3. Adorable dress- what an amazing find! And I love your necklace too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The necklace is one of my favorites:)

      Delete
  4. Great find! We are huge thrifters as well, but I don't always take the time to dig through all the clothing. I concentrate more on housewares and such. That said, probably 95% of the clothes I've purchased since marriage are thrifted :-D

    Do you ever notice that at thrift stores/second-hand sales/"exchanges" like you mention, almost all the available necklaces are beads? Do people only give away beaded necklaces? That's basically the only type I can ever find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't always thrift for clothes, but lately I have been trying to build a grown-up wardrobe of things I love. Besides a dress I got recently with gift cards, I don't even remember the last time I bought something new!

      I hear you about the beaded necklaces--I guess maybe necklaces on a chain get lost or tangled so they never make it to the thrift store stage?

      Delete
  5. wowsers! $4!! An excellent find and what a fun print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's very mod, right? I should look for some white platform boots to go with it:)

      Delete