Sunday, May 11, 2014

Operation: Curb Appeal {and WIWS}

So I woke up from my winter hibernation a few weeks ago and realized that our yard looked terrible. It's always looked pretty terrible, but now that the epic kitchen renovation is finally nearing completion (after 2 solid years), the yard looked extra bad by comparison.

In classic Eva fashion I made a ridiculously ambitious to-do list, then freaked and called in some reinforcements. Luckily my younger sister was able to make the trip and lend her muscles to the cause.

1. Power wash anything on our property that would hold still long enough.

2. Re-paint foundation blocks

3. Spread 35 (!) bags of mulch

4. Spray paint patio furniture, mail box, railings

5. Make the outbuilding look purdy.

6. Stain porch

It's been almost two weeks since beginning this mass of projects, and I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I still need to paint roughly 1/3 of the foundation and stain the porch. As you can imagine, painting/staining is not something I can do with the kids running about, and since CJ is a very unreliable napper the progress has been slow. 

As it turns out, sprucing up the outbuilding was a little bit...impossible. There's a reason my sister dubbed our outbuilding "The Murder House". But I assure you, nothing has been murdered behind that door, unless you count mice. Which I don't.


Power washing it didn't do terribly much, but I did build the planters on either side of the stairs and planted a few shrubberies. It will have to do, I'm afraid.

Zee outfit:

Blouse: Merona, scored at St. Vincent De Paul shop just yesterday.
Skirt: Hand-me-down
Tights: Merona. Ran in to Target for storage bins, came out with tights. Which is usually why I only go in Target if I am having a Starbucks emergency.
Belt: Kohl's
Shoes: Madden Girl

Do I look refreshed and rejuvenated? Because I got to sleep in until 9 and then sipped tea in bed while watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was wicked awesome. But somehow I still feel tired. I think it might be all the yard work.




Happy Sunday, friends. And a very happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there, whether you be a mother of the biological, adoptive, foster, or spiritual variety. God bless you!

Linking up with Fine Linen and Purple today. Click through for more posts by lovely ladies who probably won't bore you about yard work.





 photo Signature1_zps6ee36174.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

5 comments:

  1. Love the teal with the yellow blouse! Awesome color combination :) And that outbuilding! What is IN it, aside from mice? I'm so curious now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was going back and forth between purple and the teal tights, and I'm glad I went with the teal in the end!

      Lol, we store our yard equipment in the lower level of the outbuilding. The upper level used to be a garage that is accessed from the street behind our house, "not structurally sound" has such negative connotations, but...it's not structurally sound. What it needs is a good tearing down, but it isn't in the budget right now!

      Delete
  2. Ditto to loving the color combo, and the curiosity about that building! I bet you could nail some window boxes to the window frames with some bright red/yellow/white flowers in them and it would help cheer it up a bit :) And I totally hear you about Target - I MUST be on a mission when I go in there, and even then the $1 bins in the front of the store usually get me. It's bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Window boxes are a fabulous idea! I'll have to look into it:) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Yes...you do look well rested! And, I love that yellow!

    ReplyDelete