Sunday, June 14, 2015

Answer Me This


Linking up with Kendra of Catholic All Year for this week's edition of Answer Me This.

1. Any big plans for the summer?
We are hoping to take the RV out for one more overnight trip this summer to give us a little more practice with the whole process...we have a longer trip coming up in the fall and we would really like for the kids to know how to go to sleep at a reasonable hour! There are SO MANY state parks within an hour of us, so we have a lot to choose from!

We've also got a birthday and a baptism coming up this month, so things are going to be rather busy around here.

2. What is the strangest thing you believed as a child?
When I was growing up our family car was a 1987 Ford Crown Victoria Station Wagon. She was a beaut--and when I got my driver's license it became my personal vehicle, which caused my friends to dub me "The Skipper". Because it was a boat. Har har.

Anyhoo, as young children my older sister and I sat in the back "jump seats". Have you ever sat in jump seats? It's kind of hard to explain...There are two bench seats facing each other, perpendicular to the tailgate, and at the end of each bench was a speaker. My sister and I spent many a long car trip sitting back there, rocking out to some Psalty the Singing Songbook. Because of the shape and size of the area, it MADE SENSE that there were people lying down behind the walls of the station wagon, their mouths right up next to the speakers, who existed solely for the purpose of singing praise tunes to me and my siblings.

Do you know how I rationalized this whole setup? They didn't care about being imprisoned thusly because they were dead. DEAD PEOPLE. LIVING IN MY STATION WAGON. PRAISING JESUS. Just in case you're having a hard time picturing this, here's a hastily-drawn schematic.

3. What is your favorite amusement park ride?
I've really WANTED to like riding roller coasters my whole life, especially since Nemo is a fan...but I just don't. 

4. What's on your summer reading list?
This are way too crazy right now to have an actual list that I have an actual chance of checking things off of, but I do have  couple of very incongruous memoirs on my bedside table right now.


Fun fact: A family member of mine went to high school with Bruce Campbell. She reports that he was "just a guy". Oh, and he was friends with that other guy who also went to Hollywood. You know, Sam Raimi.


5. Have you ever fallen asleep in public?
When I was in college I minored in napping. And I was awesome at it. I've probably be asleep in public in all the buildings on campus. Arrived five minutes early for a class? No problem. I would lie down in the hallway, snuggle up to my backpack full of textbooks, and catch those five Zs like a boss. As you may imagine, I was also one of those people who wore pajama pants to class.

6. What is your favorite smell?
Anything that I'm not cooking.

 photo signature2_zpsszvmmitg.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

8 comments:

  1. Oh man the dead people singing praise music - that takes the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband's dad once made a tape for his mom to play in the car (on a long road trip he wasn't going on) of himself whispering to the kids to not tell their mom, but he was trapped in the gas tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH my goodness Kendra, that's hysterical! How creative!

      Delete
  3. Dead guy and dead gal? That is hilarious. It's actually similar to my long held belief that old cars only played oldies.

    Hope we get to meet up at Edel, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there had to be a guy and a girl, obv., to handle the whole range of characters:) I hope we meet up at Edel too!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh #2 is amazing!!! I loved those seats too, but I definitely didn't think there were dead people singing to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you're one of the only people I've told this story to that knows what jump seats are!

      Delete