Monday, June 8, 2015

Can I Ask You a Question?

I've heard tell that three is the age of questions and as CJ approaches his fourth birthday I can definitely say...yep. His favorite kinds of questions these days are 1) questions he already knows the answer to and 2) questions that have obvious answers. He's also very into temperatures and money.


This past Saturday I thought it would be fun to jot down all the questions CJ asked me over the course of the day. What was I thinking? It was a fairly "light" question day, and even so I was only able to jot down about 1/3 of them. And that's a generous estimate.

After breakfast...
Does the clock say 7:46?
I don't know, does it?

Can I write?
No, not until I'm finished doing the dishes.

Are there still more dishes to do?
Are there STILL more dishes to do?
Are there STILL MORE dishes to do?

How many degrees is it?
Is it 59 degrees?

When is my baptism day?

How many days does August have?
Thirty-one.
CJ: Hmm...31...or 30?
Thirty-one!

I finally get out paper and pens so he can write.
Here's your invitation. Can you take it?


Can you take this invitation I made you?

My invitation to the number ball.
Mom can you get my red pen?

Hey mom, can I have more rectangle paper?

What time is it?
Why don't you look at the clock?
CJ: I think it's 8:30
OMG it's only 8:30???

What is 17 degrees? Hot or cold?

Why is my underwear downside-up?
Well gosh I don't know.
Can you turn it the right way?
I guess.

I get the baby down for a nap and take the kids to the gym, where I work out (briefly) and take a long luxurious shower while no one questions me.

Leaving the gym...
Are we going to the gym?
No we just left t he gym
Did we just go to the gym?

Can you turn down the air conditioner?

I turn on the dvd of "Cars" to get a few more moments of silence.

Where's Mater going?
Can you turn it off now?

Home again...
When is Ender's baptism?

What's a three-to-four circle?
A what?
(after much questioning we discovered he meant a 3/4 circle)

What's "ohgglah"?
A what?
Again, much questioning revealed he wanted to know the origin of "O'clock"

While blowing bubbles on the deck...
Can you blow bubbles by me?
No, you're too far away.
Is this close enough?
Is THIS close enough?

He sees me writing down the previous question...
What are you doing? Are you writing? Can I write?

So I go inside briefly and return bearing the sidewalk chalk...
Do you have more sidewalk chalk?
What's a dime?
What's a dollar?
What's 10 dollars? 1000 cents???
Ummm...yes? I think? Yes.

As I'm browning some breakfast sausage for the next day's breakfast...
Can I see? Can I have some?
What are you making? Are you making rawed eggs? What's rawed eggs? Can I have some?
What's 37 + 30?

When the little girls are napping I take CJ out to run errands...
Where are we going?
What's my armpit? Is this my armpit?
Where's Target? Is it up there?
Can I sit in the cart?
Are you wearing "Flip or Flops"?
Can I have a cookie?
Can I have ANOTHER cookie?

CJ, when we get home it's going to be time for your rest.
CJ: What's "rest"?

What indeed.

And at that point I said to heck with it.

He asks a lot of questions, y'all.



 photo signature2_zpsszvmmitg.jpg

Postscript: There's more Humblebee on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Hope to see you there! Especially on Instagram. I love Instagram.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, John Paul keeps asking me questions about various elements and I'm like, "YOU are the one who knows these things!!! Go look it up!!!" Right now he likes to ask a lot of "What if" questions and I've just completely stopped responding because it's mostly "What if we bought {this thing} that only costs {this amount of money}"

    ReplyDelete